TurboTax is an easy and systematic way to file your federal and state tax returns online. The software can save your tax returns in two formats, as a Portable Document Format (PDF) and as a tax data file, or .tax file. The main difference between these two formats is that the tax data file can be edited and read on TurboTax. On the other hand, the PDF format is just a ‘snapshot’ of the tax return that you cannot edit but you can view and print using a PDF viewer. You can call the TurboTax customer service phone number to know more about the differences and features of these two formats in TurboTax.
Since PDF is one of the most common formats for sharing documents on computer and mobiles it helps to learn how to convert your tax return from PDF format to tax data file format. Unfortunately, the TurboTax software itself does not include a way to convert your TurboTax PDF into a tax data file. However, this article will give you an insight into using a third-party solution called ZamZar, to complete the conversion process.
Steps to convert TurboTax PDF into a tax data file:
Before you begin using the conversion application, TurboTax recommends making a backup of your tax data file so that you do not lose any data. Once the TurboTax backup is complete you can follow the steps given below to convert the necessary files:
- Go to the Zamzar site and press ‘Browse’ to search for your TurboTax PDF file. Select the tax files you want to upload and press ‘OK’.
- Since TurboTax cannot open PDF files directly you will have to select ‘TXF’ as the file format.
- Enter your email ID in the field provided so that Zamzar can send you the newly converted file. When you have given your email address select ‘Convert’ and wait for the file format to be converted.
- Login to your email account and look for the subject line that reads “Converted File from Zamzar”. The email should include a download link. Click on the link to download the converted tax file.
- Open TurboTax on your computer and select the ‘Open File’ option. Enter the name of the TXF file in the search bar and click the file you downloaded.
- Choose the option to ‘Save Project As’ and enter an appropriate name in the field provided can press ‘OK’. Your TurboTax software will save the project as a tax data file.
If you were unable to convert your tax file or if you noticed any data loss during the conversion process you can call the TurboTax Support and put in a request for additional assistance. TurboTax experts are available 24 hours a day to help you fix any technical issues so that you can get back to filing your tax returns without any hassle.
Also Read: Turbotax Customer Support Phone Number